Wednesday, April 10, 2013

the ache of April


I’m beginning to feel the distraction and quiet heartache that goes with April for me. 

This is the sixth year since our son, Matt,  died . . . so hard to take that in.   How could it have been six years since I’ve seen his smile or heard his voice ?  How could I have lived six years without him when he is so much a part of me ? 

Every year about this time, I begin to feel different.  I feel a little fragile, just generally sad and like something is just out of sync within me.  I know what it is, so now I expect it - knowing why it comes and knowing it will be compassionately balanced by my intentional focus on the gift of his life in mine.  Still, knowing doesn’t eliminate the heartache – it simply clothes it in tenderness. 

It is the journey of losing a child.  It is my journey. . . . unbelievable as that still seems.

So, I take deep breaths of honesty, of patience with my “reality”, of compassion for all the other families whose hearts break for whatever reason.  I watch the sun come up and marvel in the way it makes the trees in our backyard sparkle.  I listen to the quiet birdsongs and watch spring open its color for all to see.  I cry that life has to include pain like this. 

And once again, I am grateful for knowing so clearly what matters . . .
          that it is all about how we love. . . . 
                   just that  . . .
                             how we love . . .   

1 comment:

  1. My beloved friend,
    I was just remembering this morning, before seeing you, that April is the Hard Month for you. Then in the busyness of the day, it slipped from me...but of course it never slips from you, or from any of us who so acutely remember the sounds and smells and feel of the season in which our dear ones departed. And the birds still sing, the sun still sparkles, and we get to hold this beauty and this pain together. Much love to you...Julie

    ReplyDelete