Sunday, October 27, 2013

Matt moments



          
Our son-in-law gave the following heartfelt writing to me after a family vacation on the lake.  I offer it for its sensitive message of unbroken connections. . . . for its proof that life lives on in us even though physical, tangible presence is gone. 


“B’s feet slap the wet deck as he springs a flip into the lake
And just like that Matt comes rushing over me
I sit for a while and think about what he would be doing . . . would be saying
And then it occurs to me . . . not “would be” – IS
And with that small shift I have secretly, selfishly had him with me all weekend

When the kayak lady asked who among us would be the guide and you all looked at me, I thought of Matt with a knowing smile because there is no question we’d all have been looking at him

He was right here when Stephen I were cooking up our new iphone app, eating up every minute of it and throwing in his wittiest turns

He was with Amphai when she added a little more spice to the Pad Thai and when she stood in the background squirreling away her Mason time

And you damn well know he was there as Nathaniel rose up onto the kneeboard for the very first time and of course he was in the ribbing of John when he ran out of gas. But he was also in the way the older cousins time and time again made the younger ones feel like giants.

And in these ways I have secretly, selfishly had him with me all weekend. Except it isn’t really so secret after all is it?

These are the moments of Matt. So many pieces of him that we all carry around every day and when we come together . . . they rub up against each other . . . and they spark

No comments:

Post a Comment